Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Zara's intro to Humanitarian work.

-Before I left Utah my little sister and I had a vision to form some kind of fund raiser to help aid schools in Peru. Unfortunately I became overwhelmed with the actual move and dropped the ball on getting anything of this kind started or even getting info to my sweet sister Elisheba. So I forgot about the plan altogether as we embarked on our move to Peru.- 

*Today marked an introduction to the first humanitarian efforts ever embarked on by my dear daughter Zara.

Jumping back in time a couple of weeks, we met a wonderful woman named Marry when she moved into our hotel for a few days. Even though she was only here a very short time, she left a lasting imprint on my heart.


Beautiful Mary and I.
One afternoon Marry poped into our room and asked me if I could take a drive up the mountain with her at 7:30 a.m. the next morning to see soem children's schools. Even though hardly anything gets me out of bed that early, I said that I would.

The next morning we jumped in a taxie with a sweet driver named Juan. As the morning progressed I was presented with a crash corse of building relationships with new people in pursuit of a common goal, finding the right people to help accomplish these goals and further the mission, extending love compassion and enormous generosity in the name of gratitude for what we have been gifted ourselves and spreading the bounty to those in need.

Marry effortlessly gained the trust of the locals as she asked where the schools were for the children and what supplys they were in need of. The people of these small village communities in the Andean Mountains were surprised and totally caught off guard by our arrival and purpose but extremely grateful and open to her. Marys energy, her voice and demeanor is incredibly soft, quiet and calming but with a determination visible and strong. As we walked into the towns and asked where the school is, who's the president, how many children go here and what ages, we were quickly attended too as if what we were doing was more important then anything we had interrupted  The whole time I couldnt belive the learning opportunity I was being handed. I felt so privileged to be along side Marry as she marched forth with her self developed plan and work to use her own money to bring much needed school supplies to these schools and children of all ages. Many of these kids go to school with little or nothing to write with. Many of the parents can barley afford to send them to school let alone pay for supplies. Many children dont even have the chance to attend school at all.

When the morning came to an end and Mary had seen two schools with a third in mind, taken photos, obtained info, created friendships and relationships of trust, extended love, appreciation and a humble grase as she whispered tips and tricks in my ear. She said she was my mentor and this is my crash corse. She then dropped me back off at home as she and the taxi continued on to Cuzco (the nearest big town) to purchase the supplies.

When she returned she showed me three large stacks of boxes full of all kinds of school supplies  She told me that she has to go back to the states soon and wont be able to deliver them. She asked me if she could leave it in my care and if I could deliver them myself. It seemed overwhelming to try and carry on her mission on my own in such a powerful way like she had done but the beautiful opportunity for growth and the excitement to try urged me to happily except. Mary gave me much encouragement and advise on how to keep the trail of blessing going, how to entrust someone new in my spot when my time is up here and to shed gratitude in love and light.

Well Mary left me with a large sum of cash to give the same taxie driver when it was time, she took me in her room one early morning and showed me how to offer a beautiful blessing of gratitude to the Pacha-momma (mother earth) that touched my heart and her contact info to keep in touch. The next week I was on my own retreat for 5 days and then when I got home the very next day would be the day Juan (the taxi driver) and I had planned to meet again.

Today as I rushed throughout the morning getting ready for my venture back to the schools I felt strongly that Zara, just Zara should come with me. I had also invited a friend I met from the retreat to come and help me with the language barrier but she had to cancel at the last minute because she decided to move hotels.

 Juan arrived at my hotel exactly on time and kindly greeted me like he seems to always do so well. I promptly gave him the money at which he seemed very surprised to receive so much of! I smiled and said "It's from Marry". We loaded up the car, jumped in, Zara happily on my lap with her head out the window hair blowing in the wind, and off we went.

All morning Zara had been holding a bag of pencils she was so excited to give to the kids. I had explained to her that there are many kids that dont have enough money to buy the pencils they need to write with at school and that Mary had bought these for them and asked us to give it to them. Zara was so delighted to be needed in such an important job and ready to be of service.  Neither one of us anticipated the stampede of excited peruvian children that would soon surround little Zara in effort to receive a coveted pencil. The moment we stepped foot on the first schools grounds Zara was at her best! She happily started to hand out pencils and caused an all out mash pit of children surrounding her to get a pencil. She was completely overwhelmed by the mad rush but handled it with flying colors. I managed to snap a couple pics before sweeping her up onto my shoulders.







Finally when the teaches had calmed everyone down and managed to get them split up into ages and lines, Juan, oh wonderful Juan jumped in to help me figure out the best way to evenly distribute the materials. We couldn't understand a thing each other said but it didn't bother us a bit. We managed to communicate in other ways and we were totally united in our efforts. Juan was an angel and I absolutely could not have had such a successful morning without him. Juan is the kind of helping hand that sweeps in when you ned it most and expect it least. Such a great spirit and loving energy.



We decided each child would receive two notebooks, a pack of colored pencils, a sharpener and an eraser. We sat on the ground in the dirt polling each item from the boxes as fast as we could, making little bundles and handing them to the children as the lines moved up. Zara was such a sweet heart and totally confidant as she stepped right in, grabbing items and making bundles to hand out! I was so proud of her! She never asked if she could have one. It was as if she felt totally connected to the project and knew the importance of this to each child. As she handed out items I consciously made an effort to slow down, grab her, squeeze her, look her in the eyes and tell her how proud I am of her and that  she's doing a great job. Her smile was priceless and so were the sweet smiles upon each child we gifted the supplies to. I'm forever in gratitude for this bonding moment with my eldest daughter and the joy it brought her. I thought for a moment how incredibly lucky I am to be here in this moment right now. How lucky I am to have been trusted to do this in behalf of Mary. She did all the work and spent all the money (a LOT of money) and here I am doing the funest part. I'm truly grateful for this priceless lesson and gift Marry gave Zara and I today.




We continued on to the next school for younger kids and left them with their lot as well. Tomorrow I'm meeting with Juan one more time to head to the last school the furthest up the mountain. I feel a new sense of confidence in what we can do for people. You dont need anyone but yourself to walk into a village and ask how you can serve them. I pray I can keep this experience in my heart always and further expand upon what I can do in my own ways to help  these kids and people. I pray this is the seed that grows into a beautiful giving tree in Zara's heart. I pray I can help her cultivate a spirit of gratitude and giving. I'm profoundly moved by what Mary did for me and how swiftly she entered my life, touched it and then disappeared. I cant believe how the universe just manifested my desires even when I dropped the ball in starting the project in Utah. I'm so happy to be here in Peru. I learn new and wonderful lessons so often, I'm stretched and challenged in ways I never expected and I'm so lucky to be experiencing it.
God bless~Love and Light my dear friends.


Below, here are a few photos of fun walks, hikes and just beautiful days here in Pisac. 































10 comments:

  1. Wow! What an awesome experience. You will do just as good as a job as Mary did! Reading this made me want to teach again! Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly cow cool! I didn't know you taught!! Thats awesome. Now your a kick butt nurse right! Love and light to you and your darn cute family~xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by the way Stacy you would be the funnest teacher with your huge beautiful smile and contagious, vibrant laugh!

      Delete
  3. I taught first grade. I am not a nurse, to my kids I guess, but that is it! :) Thanks! Can't wait to read about your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I know I keep saying stuff like this, but that totally sounded like a scene from a feel-good movie . . . too perfectly orchestrated to be real! What a special and profoundly meaningful experience for you and Zara to share with your Puruvian friends. So beautiful! I am looking forward to reading about your retreat!!! Please don't make me wait too long. :)
    P.S. Yes, we know how crazy life can be with trés niños (3 kiddos)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely so wonderful!! What an amazing experience! That is so neat you were able to share that experience with sweetheart Zara! Loved the pictures!! So glad all is going well. we love you and miss you! Camille and Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much grandma milli! We love and miss you and Bruce dearly! I'm so glad to here from you. I've posted my latest pot today on ceremony. It has been beautiful learning here. We cant wait to see you again. Much love and light~
      Shell

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful experience my beautiful girl...... I am humbled by yout sweet spirit and acts of service. I love reading your blog..... Thank you so much for do generously sharing your adventure with me..... I love you. Always have, Always will!
    Laura~

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, Shel! What you are doing sounds like such a gift to so many who need it. I am not surprised, in the least, that such a POWERFUL person as you would find a way to help and make the world a BETTER place. What GORGEOUS pictures! And.....I'm so HAPPY your taking the time to post and keep us all abreast to what you and your family are doing. I can't wait to hear more about your healing experiences and the change that takes place for you, your family and the lives you change because they know YOU! WOW.....such a gift you bring.......Sure LOVE and MISS you!!!! <3<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rachel, thanks so much. That means a lot coming from you one of my first mentors! I love you and hope your oing wonderful. I'm excited to post today on my experiences here in ceremony. Its been so transformational. I will never be the same. I cant wait to reconnect with you again someday! I love you dearly.
      Shell

      Delete