Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tender Mercies.

So much goes on in a day that I want to write about, things that I feel inspired about, things that were amazing or completely stressful! However I never seem to get to it. By the time the kids are zonked, we are too. Then much like the last post, I do a scrapyier job than I normally do at jotting a few things down. In anycase I hope the pictures tell a far better story then what I could ever write (considering I'm not a writer at all and I'm vary much lacking in the grammar and spelling department). 

There are a few things I must say however that cant be captured in a snap shot. We are definitely feeling challenged far past what we anticipated for this trip lugging around three babies. We've had to accept that everything will transpire as it should which tends to be on a much slower pace than what it  would be just the two of us. Our patience is being tested at high and ever so expanding levels. Many moments have brought us to wonder "will we ever get the hang of this?" Amongst it all, the good and the bad, as we are approaching the two week mark, one thing has never wavered. We were drawn to Peru for reasons we know and love, and also for reasons we've yet to discover. Determination and divine help lightens our load when it feels heavy and reminds us of the connection we are seeking with each other and that of the universe. As stressful as it can be at times we also feel equally uplifted, inspired and optimistic. It seems each day we are here a tender mercy is bestowed upon us from above. Just today a stranger knocked on our door to drop off a stroller as her sister had seen us packing our children around on our backs under the blazing sun. She said they're not using it and would love for us to barrow it while we are here. My heart pored with gratitude. Not only was it a nice relief to our next excursion on the streets but it will be a massive relief to me to have a stroller while Sean is away for 10 days in the jungle. I had anxiety about how I would pack the three little ones around on my own and didn't want to spend the money on the expensively marked up prices of strollers in our area. 
The gratitude was still lingering in my heart as we were hustling to put our tired kids to bed tonight. A sweet Peruvian woman in her late 30's that lives in the same house we do, has never been married yet and has no children of her own. She quietly waved at our kids through our glass door tonight right as the bed time rush was hitting our room. My heart strings tugged for her and I invited her in. She participated in the whole bedtime ritual as though she were mothering her own. I could see the maternal instinct begging to be put to use as she sat in the dim light with Sean and I singing the children to sleep. She loves my children as they love her, only having met but a short time ago. Peru may have its challenges but it also has it's tender mercies, abundant love and delights as plentiful as we will open our hearts to it. 

Some of what I've been neglecting to put into words below. Hoping I can expand on each subject relatively soon:
  • The weather. Oh the wonderful weather. Literally the most humid place ever, however coupled with beautiful days and cool breezes. 
  • The rich history and culture of Lima where we live at the moment. The spirituality and custom. 
  • El Buen Gusto!!! The Amazing Caffe Bakery I have become addicted to around the corner for amazing cappuccino's and even better sandwiches and deserts! Food so unreal I couldn't have imagined it so tasty!
  • The lack of communication skills between Sean and I that over numerous arguments we've been discovering to be far worse than we thought. Must fix.
  • The repeated (well meaning) reprimanding Ive received from Teresa, the house owner on how to care for my sick child (who is well and happy now), as well as how much she liked me the first two days and then after we didn't eat all her soup and I requested she give Zara smaller bites, she now suddenly has what seems to be a dislike for me and is always hiding out. Her husband Julio is still as pleasant as ever. Always welcoming us and making the kids laugh before he's off on some randome task again.
  • How we seem to be a massive tourist and native attraction of our own everywhere we go with three kids on our backs and shoulders. People literally point at us from great distances. So much for blending in. 
  • Trying to implement a daily routine. Wake, pray, yoga, eat, walk, nap, eat, walk, rest, love, eat, pray, sleep. Just  read that back and that was not supost to sound so much like the darn movie Eat, Pray Love, which by the way, Sean and I agree, the movie was less than we had hoped. Why did Julia Roberts leave the dude who was willing to do anything it took to make a new and deeper connection with her? Take him with you silly. 
  • Next, Zara's wide open heart and mind to her new Peruvian friends is priceless to observe. How fast Zara is picking up small spanish words and using them on a daily basis, as well as her freaking cute gibberish of made up spanish. Pax not far behind as he says "hola" and waves, melting the hearts of Peruvians every where we go with his curly red hair. Rowen getting more face touching then I can handle! Holly cow what makes people think it's ok to walk up to an infant and just start touching her face? I dont know if your sick or washed your hands ever. Its an infant, doesn't that hold some sort of sacred no touch zone!? This is not a Peru thing...I felt this way in the states since I had baby #1. Sean thinks I need to get over it. I moleing over the notion that I may be hyper sensitive to this but I dont see my stance budging quite yet. 
  • Pax and Zara taking such a likening the the kid carrier, that they fight to be in it. At least they dont hate being backpacked around! 
  • Seans upcoming excursion to his fist Shaman Retreat in Chiclayo and my fisrt 10 days on my own with the munchkins.
  • CLOTH DIAPERING! wtf. How do people do it. Not a great experience so far with that. I dont think I'm doing it right. Regardless of how I feel about it we just cant afford diapers that are double what they are sold for in the US. I've got to figure this thing out. 
  • The plans for the rest of the trip, the gringo trail and more. 
El Buen Gusto!
A Few things we see on an afternoon walk.





Cloth diapers for Rowen and Pax...







2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Rachelle!
    I love reading your blog!
    I love you! Thank you for posting and for the pictures!
    I love you with all of my heart!
    Laura~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU!
    I love your ongoing amazing unconditional SUPPORT!
    Your comments make my day! I pray life is treating you wonderfully my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete