Monday, January 28, 2013

Just me the kids and our trusty spanish dictionary.


Before we left Utah a wonderful woman I’ve never met named Kelly, saw my moving sale ad’s and came to buy a shelf and some lamps. When she asked why I wasn’t taking these things with me on the move, I told her because we are moving to Peru and selling these things is part of what will help us go. She looked very intrigued and asked why Peru? I was vague in my response, not even really sure how to explain it anyway. After poking and prodding a few more times she got me to come more directly out with the main objective, being the spiritual and plant healing we are so drawn to learning about through the native shamans. A huge smile came over her face when she proceeded to tell me that she is just returning from living in Peru for 7 years apprenticing a shaman in the jungle. My mouth dropped as I let out a heavy breath of joy as my eyes looked upon her in disbelief! This is one of the undeniable moments where we felt heavenly parents mother and father were placing people in our path who were in line with our needs and intentions. Kelly said, “you must call me, I would love to help you navigate your trip!” From that day on I have met with and been in a contact with her. She introduced me to a wonderful group of other Americans taking a trip to Peru for the very same reasons for 2 weeks in January. Right when we will be there! I had the incredible opportunity to attend a meditative “sit” with these people in Utah and have my eyes opened to many of the beautiful opportunities this work has in store for us, which further stirred up passion for the tip. I was able to meat Lynn a beautiful, delightful woman in charge of the retreat heading to Peru in January. She was so open and encouraging of our journey. I’m truly grateful to Kelly with all my heart for stepping  foot in my home that day and being so willing to take me under her wing and share her time, knowledge and love for this work with me and my dear family. She has lead us to such great people who we feel safe with. Sean has had the incredible opportunity to participate in the retreat Lynn has organized and has left for this first 10-days with them in the highland jungle.  He took a flight from Lima Peru to Chiclayo to meat up with everyone and study with a woman Shaman they have been being taught by for years. What an amazing opportunity for Sean! We thank the heavens and earth for putting us in such honest and deeply devoted hands. We expect Sean home the night of February first.  Here's a few fun photos from a trip to the beach we took right before Sean left for his retreat. 


Sean was embarrassed that I put Pax in a diaper speedo! I thought he looked stinking cute!!!




Top left and right are Julio and Tarrissa who are the married couple that own where we live.

So here I am, kids are deep asleep for their afternoon nap as I sit Indian style, computer in my lap sipping my daily cup of joe as I try to enjoy the only quiet time I get in a day. Only damper on this normally peaceful time is this nagging feeling of loneliness that is like no other loneliness I’ve ever felt. I knew I would miss Sean while he’s away in the jungle for 10 days with little communication and even feel lonely amongst my three crazy kids. But this, this is despairing. I’ve been alone with out Sean many times when he went weeks on business trips and always had my go-to activates for the kids and I during those times. But this is totally different. I’m alone in a foreign country still learning to navigate my own neighborhood.  I can’t just pick up the phone and call my mom or big sister because I’m board and would like to speak something other than baby talk. I can’t order my favorite sushi take out as a bit of comfort food. I cant rent a movie and curl up on the couch with caramel popcorn while the kids sleep. We’re living in a house that almost solely speaks Spanish. I step out the front door and take in a deep breath of preparation for stepping into the unknown each time. Nothing feels familiar, nothing feels like home and the only part of me that is familiar in this sea of faces I've never seen is Sean. We only have each other to lean on in this country. With him gone I feel the wait of the world baring down. Even though I know we’re safe and all is well, my eyes will swell up in tears when I think about how much I need him. He’s my strength and comfort. My home is where he is and when he’s not here it can feel like I have no home at all. I find myself less able to cope with the demands of the children and begin to project a negative attitude, which then shifts their feeling of well being and further throes us all off balance into and angry mess. Yet I continue to hold back the tears and remember that this must be part of the journey. I wanted this and I wanted to experience every part, even the loneliness. I must learn to be at peace within myself even in what feels like solitude.
After a day or two of feeling this way off and on I received a comment on my last blog post that in the end read, “ I don’t know if you are in the 10 days by yourself now, but you can do this. You my friend are MIGHTY!!!! Weep when you must, rest when you can, rejoice when you feel it, call on God & nature for strength and healing, laugh, pray & hope, and know that you are loved.”~ Juli Lazare
The moment I started to read this I began to cry. It was as if I was waiting for the permission to show how overwhelmed I am at times. It felt so good, so refreshing to finally release. I also realized that yes this is all part of the journey and tears are meant to be shed. Holding them in goes against all that I already believe about healing. By not acknowledging my pain, feeling it, letting it out and laying it at the feet of my heavenly parents and the universe to be healed, I continue to disservice my children and myself.  I’m so grateful for the love that I truly felt flow through me as I read this comment. Thank you so very much Julie for the uplifting support and reminder of what I must do.  

Causing my eyes to dry is the smile that curls up my face when I think of what Sean is doing right now. My heart is overflowing with love that I pray he can feel from afar. I pray his first experience at the retreat in Chicklyo Peru will open his eyes to something beautiful and awakening to every cell in his body. I pray he can detach from the modern world and become one with nature and all her beauty, healing and answers she has to offer. I hope he connects deeply with the native people around him and the other Americans ho have traveled great distances for this experience as well. I’m overcome with anticipation of the stories he will bring home to tell. This is only the beginning and I hope it’s the door opening to what Sean has been envisioning.


While Sean’s been gone the kids have made a routine we carry out each day. As soon as they wake (always way to early, 6:30 am) they eat something (lately oatmeal and rice milk) and play around the house for a few hours as I seriously struggle to gain enthusiasm and energy. It’s a nightmare trying to keep them quiet enough not to wake the rest of the house, however most every one here does love the kids and have told me the crying is “no problem”; and Sean did tell them during negotiation that sometimes the babies cry and are loud. I mean I don’t always appreciate the loud late night partying some of the adults around here either, so I guess we’re even. Which by the way we have concluded that Julio is a wonderful man and has a good heart, while Tarrasa the wife seems to be angry much of the time, disconnected from her family and drinks every morning, noon and night. I don’t know what’s at the root of her pain and she does probably have a very good heart too. We pray she will find peace and we are grateful for her kindness and love to the kids. It’s interesting when you stay with a family long enough you start to see what they are great at and what they struggle with. One thing they are great at is always kindly welcoming us as we come and go, giving little treats to the kids and always offering to help out. I'm sure they also have a few of their own thoughts on what I struggle with daily. In any case they seem to except me in my weaknesses and love our family non the less, as we do them. 



Anyhow around 10:00 I turn on a cute kid yoga video off you tube. Zara and I giggle as we try to fallow along. Pax comes in and out of the action as he jumps from bed to bed and try’s to distract Zara. After a few minutes of that, I always forget to put their essential oil “On Guard” on their feet (but sometimes I do remember) and we start getting ready and loaded up for our daily visit to the bakery. Zara and Pax always pick out a chocolate chip muffin and a small sandwich. The people at the café bakery always light up when they see Pax and Zara! Pax and Zara light up to because the workers have made a habit of handing them small treats and samples. We take our little sack of goodies to a small pavilion across the street from where we stay. Sharing the goodies we eat and play on the benches and run circles in the grass until the kids are good and ready for a nap around 12:00.



One thing this hot, humid weather has oddly helped with is the kid’s sleep! They’ve taken long deep naps here, better then they ever did at home. I can count on at LEAST 2 hours most days and many times longer! After naps we mope around the house a while until I get us all loaded back up (Rowen in the back pack on my chest, and the other two sharing the stroller, one in the seat, and one sitting on the handle bars on top. We are so thankful that the stroller was so generously loaned to us buy a stranger who saw us backpacking all three around! We take a long 5-bock  (blocks are massive here) walk to the grocery store Vivanda for some lunch and breakfast items like bananas, oatmeal and yogurt for the next morning. I'm also so thankful for two beautiful women who live here in our house who take such an intrest and love in the kids. Cici and Rudy have both, numourouse times, assisted me on walks to the park or grocery store, chased the kids around and helped feed them. Zara and Pax love them like family and will even go them for things they need or comfort after skinning their knee. I'm blessed to have such sweet women in my life while Sean is away.


Beautiful Rudy and the kids at the bakery enjoying some muffins and juice. 

Wonderful, lovely Cecilia (cici), has been at my side sense the day Sean left! WE love her dearly.

The greatest blessings this trip has bestowed so far is on the beloved pallet of Pax. Anyone who’s close to us knows the extreme pickiness of my little munchkins and especially that of Pax! In Utah the little buggers preferred drinking EVERY MEAL! Fresh juice, green drinks in the morning, oatmeal, avocado, spinach, and yogurt smoothies in the afternoon, and just a variation of those two again at night. In between meals fussing for more Sippy cups as I tried to get them to eat something solid! All be it, those things are very healthy but too much of one thing is never good. We researched it and knew that in order to maintain healthy gut and digestion they need the chewing motion to produce the saliva that helps digestion and other things. Anyhow they would eat organic mac&cheese or pizza and the usual kid treats, but organic or not those things don’t offer a lot of nutrition. Fast forward to suddenly plopping down in a new country with NO sippy cups, blender or juicer, and what do you have hiding beneath the pickiest tongue ever? A world class, fabulously hungry and diversitiesed eater named PAX!!! The kid will literally eat anything we put in front of him! Fruit, vegetables  meat, chicken  rice, grains, you name it! Thank the heavens, earth and animals for this much needed blessing. Some of our favorite foods at the moment are the mouth-watering beef Empanadas, flavored rice’s and ridiculously, tasty bananas. This is photo of a fruit cart a little lady bikes around with where we buy our fabulous bananas! Hopefully they will still enjoy green smoothies when we get back as well as keep their liking for a wide variety of interesting foods. 



Rowen is enjoying trying solids! Go baby led weening! 

Back to the daily routine...on our way home we pass the house and head straight for the beach & park to play the afternoon away. Zara and Pax effortlessly make friends with Peruvian kids initiating chasing and running up and down the hills with laughter and body language. One thing I have to say was fun at first is the celebrity status we have literally every where we go in public. I'm not even slightly exaggerating when I say we are stared at every walk, the whole time, everywhere we go, every single day.  At first I tried to appease the many staring eyes and whispers with every person I made eye contact with. I had a permeant smile on my face coupled with a non-stop nodding motion of the head. As people motion a circle with their hand, then said "tes!!!?", and then pointed at me, I would answer to the obviouse question and even more obvious answer, "Yes, see, see, all tres (three) babes are mine'. Actually No they aren't mine, I walk children like people walk dogs, but only white ones. They go home to their owners when we are done. Would you like to pet them?





In the month that we have been here, I haven't 
spotted not one red head in addition to Pax. I think for most Peruvians a red head only exists on the television or in magazines. Then suddenly to ones utter shock, behold yet a beautiful, curly head of RED hair, attached to an astonishingly handsome little boy, standing LIVE, in the flesh before you. I guess that would be part of why people are coming up wanting to take pictures of us daily. Some people even bust out camera phones and snap away without even asking! Pretty weird the first couple times. As they do so Pax eggs them on as he smiles and waves. People walk right up and touch Rowens face (we all know that's a pet peeve of mine) and fawn all over her. Well I will admit that she is the perfection of infancy, with her dark hair, big brown eyes and chubby body, tossing out smiles like the happiest baby in the world. All the ooo's, aw's and touching are meaningly harmless and all but honestly it's exhausting being stared at for 10 minnites at a time in the park. Every move I make with the kids, sitting snacking on the grass, breaking up a coral between Z and P or just playing, all feeling like people are burning holes in my back. I want to yell out in Spanish "YES one is an adorable RED head, one is a BEAUTIFUL blond, and one is a SWEET infant...AND Yes, we are American. But for the love, PLEASE, PLEASE stop staring, at least not for so dang long!" Zara on the other hand has discovered a taste for acting. She adorably and very over dramatically, tilts her head, smiles, and puts on an ever so charming act of sweetness for people we pass. Older women MELT, men laugh and and people of every age and type stop to speak with her. She absolutely loves every single second of it. However, I think next time a stranger asks to take a photo of my children or procedes to without permission, I'm going to ask them to stop and pose a moment while I take a few snap shots of them. I mean, I'm in the city with normal and modernized people. I didn't think we would be such a spectacle here. I wonder if this is how some of the villagers feel in rural areas and small towns of Cuzco or the Sacred Valley, where we are headed next. At least when I fascinate over them I will first ask to take a photo of their fascinating faces and lifestyles. I'll also offer them a sole (dollar) or two for kindly obliging me (making me appreciative and indebted to them for the memories we will cherish) in this request. It's important to be respectful and generous to the indigenous people in the ways we can as they are to us visitos in the way they can. 


I must add that as I have felt the way I described above another part of me, the greater part, the part of me that comes from my heart, is ever so grateful and relived to be adorned by these kind people. We are continually welcomed with kindness and joyful curiosity. I'm so grateful that this beautiful country receives my little gringo family with loving, generous open arms. We're treated kindly and adorned by many. This truly is a gift to us and especially the children  as well as a huge comfort to our anxieties of being in a foreign land. People seem to nicely tollerate my horrible lack of Spanish speaking skills and offer to help me, give me their spot in the grocery line or try to make a fussing child smile all in times of need. These small blessings are a ginormouse help at times and its all thanks to the big hearts people seem to have here. Peruvians seem to be just as family oriented as we are used to at home, if not more so. They delight in the joys of children, fabulous food (which we have only begun to discover), and greet each other and strangers everywhere they go. I truly am so happy to be here and I'm so looking forward to delving deep into the indigenous cultues and people of Cuzco, the Andes and Sacred Valley where we are headed next. 

Just finding some cool bugs and moths at the park.
Ok I am finally back on the subject that originated, the daily routine. By the time we get back from the park, I’m as exhausted as the kids are, and that’s the point I guess. We take showers, flip the laptop open to watch one of the four movies we have to choose from as I feed the kids dinner. We pray (I forget again, to put the oils on them. I must fix that!) And hit the sack by 9 most nights. Many times our nightly routine is interrupted by all the many passerby’s (meaning the friends and family of the owners) coming through the house all the time that want to see the babies! They all fawn over them like they’ve never seen a baby before. Zara and Pax love it, normally dancing and putting on a show to witch they are cheered BRAVO, BRAVO repeatedly! I don’t mind it except on those occasions where I’m just so done that I cant wait ten more seconds to rangn them in and put them to bed. Something I’ve yet to work into the daily routine is a 15 minute meditation time for myself. I suppose I should sacrifice that time during my computer time as the kids nap. It wouldn’t really be a sacrifice if I could gain the many known benefits from this spiritual ritual and connection daily. I will report back when I’ve taken that step.

Since Sean has been gone, Julio asks me daily if I’m ok? I’m grateful he’s here and I know he means it when he says to come to him for anything. I don’t have any reservations about hm. He plays with the kids in such a fun spirited way that Zara almost thinks he’s her Peruvian granddad. She’s always asking, “where’s Zumba” the nickname she made up for him in her own made up Spanish language. I tell her Julio is outside, and she begs me to take her out to play with him. Pax is right on the same level as Zara in wanting to brake out of our room all the time so people can sing and play with them in words they don’t even understand yet. It’s the feeling that they love. Roewn feels safe as can be, still nursing like a champ and happy to be along for the ride.

We all miss Sean but it’s worth the small wait. Even though we have little contact with him we know he’s in good hands doing great things and we will soon bask in his love and stoires from the jungle.






19 comments:

  1. Love the napping picture, so precious! Your days are busy, but seem so exciting! Keep your chin up, your hubby will be back before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy! Thanks! YOUr right time has been flying after all :) Thanks for reading and supporting! Hope you guys are doing good! I heard its beyond freezing at home! Hopefully that will be over before you know it too. Much love~Shell

      Delete
  2. Shell-
    Simply put- this is so BEAUTIFUL and inspiring. Your strength and courage puts my in awe. I LOVE following this and your cute pictures are just too good for words. Beautiful children, beautiful YOU and the country of Peru. What a GREAT adventure. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia! Seriously THANK YOU! YOu made my day! I'm so glad you are fallowing and that you have such nice things to say. It really means a lot to know people like you actually read the thing and support the journey! Eventually we hope to learn how to make money blogging to extend the trip or fund future trips so it gives me hope when someone comments like you have! First I need to freaking learn basic grammar and spelling...yikes I'm lacking in the english/literature department.

      Anyhow I saw your new FB page! Freaking cool! Love your head band by the way~ I think its so rad to see people put their passions out there into the world! YOu go girl, I will be fallowing! And when I get home someday, I'm sure I will seriously need some help in the style/shopping department. Hopefully you will have expanded into styling other people by then ;)

      Much love and thanks.
      Blessings from the Jungle~ Shell and Sean

      Delete
  3. Dear Sweet Schell, I have enjoyed every word, you have a gift in writing,your so good about bearing your heart and so descriptive. I can imagine your loneliness,Sean will soon be back,and I am so glad those sweet sisters are helping you with the kids. I hope to meet them some day! Thanks for your every detail, the pictures are priceless! During those lonely times,pour your heart out to the Lord and he will hear you and comfort you. He will never leave you. I've relied on him many times to bouy me up, and he has never failed me. I love you, Camille
    (Grandma Millie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I love you! Thank you so much for this amazing comment! It means so much that you are fallowing. It feels like we aren't so far away when i read an email or comment from you and family. This must be how the boy's felt on missions! So dang excited to here from the momma bear and family members! YOu make me feel so good about putting it all out there in words. I've got huge problems with grammar, spelling and all things english/literature so its really encouraging to here that you like it despite those things! Oh man Im so glad and grateful! Freaking love you grandma millie! I will take your advise and pray more often. I know its what I should do and so I will. Thank you. YOu are very strong and have so much wisdom to share. I got to talk to Sean for a short minute the other day and during the retreat he was feeling so much gratitude for his mother. I'm sure he wants to express it to you himself so I will let him do that. I know what we are doing is not as traditional as we are all used to but having your all your support and love regardless has been a priceless gift to us and we appreciate it so much. We love you and are so grateful for all you have done for us. Cant wait to talk again soon and hopefully figure out how to skipe one of these days. Again I cant say how happy you made me with such awesome things to say in your comment! Thanks!
      LOVE SHELL, SEAN AND THE BABES

      Delete
  4. Where do I sign up for your child-walking services?! You totally cracked me up on that one! Too funny that you're such a novelty. Just try to enjoy the celebrity experience; you'll look back on it fondly one day. Also get someone to snap a bunch of pictures of you with your children in that amazing house you live in. (And the whole family once your hubby gets back.) So gorgeous! I'll have to message you later about how homeschool is going. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol glad that little sid bit wasn't a stick in the mud~ Yes do msg me about you r home schooling I'm very interested! So the comment below posted by Natalie Tanner is a good friend of mine. Anyhow she has recently started the home schooling thing too. I think she's been at it almost a year now or something. She might have good advise for you if your ever looking.

      I do need some pics of the whole fam! Will do. Always grateful for your support!
      Luve the *hug* thing....

      *hugs* Shell

      Delete
  5. Shell!! LOVED your post!! And I, too, would love to hird you for baby-walking services when you get back!! Hahahaaha so funny! If nothing else, at least you can use your "celebrity status" to learn to empathize what it's like for famous people?! haha!!!
    Oh, and you know how you mentioned the right people just coming outta NOWHERE to help and guide you in the things you need? Well, I'm happy to announce that I am one of those people now!! I am your new grammar and spelling tutor/blog editor!!!!!!!!! Ohmygosh... I can't even TELL you how happy it makes a grammar-Nazi (such as myself) to have a WILLING PUPIL!!!! EEEEEKKKK!!!! :0) Let us discuss THAT item in depth via email. Aside from all that grammar/spelling nonsense, your writing is awesome!! And those PICS???? Stop it. They are works of ART!! I am loving them all SO MUCH! Keep your chin up. And do that "praying" thing every day to keep you strong. ;0) Sending love and thoughts your way every day! Waiting for a new blog post is like my crack cocaine... I just can't wait for the next fix! Haven loves it too asks almost every day if there are any more pics up. So, see? You already have tons of blog fans! Email me your spelling woes, and we'll have you all set in no time. MMMWWAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NATALIE!!! BEyond an amazingly generous helpful, much needed, offer!!!! I would be grateful forever and do what ever I can to return the favor! Maybe I can put your name up somewhere that says Editor: NAtalie Tanner with your info and links! Maybe I can fnd a way to pay you something or pay you full time when the blog actually starts making money because its legible. lol. really I couldn't be more grateful for any help you offer in your bussy life! I'm open and ready to discuss any time you are..and if I have internet connection, it comes and goes.

      But on another note, can I just say how incredibly heart warming and encouragingly supportive you and sweet Haven are! Wow! talk about make my day! Honestly you made me feel like a million bucks with how you guys look forward to the next post and all. I couldnt be more lucky to have someone like you care that much and let me know! HEck we havnt even heard from most of our family on this thing....literally. Thanks so much for the support! You guys are awesome! I offered yo up for giving advise if my friend ever needs it~ She just started homeschooling. HOws my Hav? She is such a smarty pants and so intrigued by things most kids her age have no clue about! Thats so awesome! I hope zara can be that way too. Its obviously a mom who encourages her. Nat, so many things i look up to you with! I seriously hope you get pregers! I know you joke but oh my gosh what could be cooler!?? Come on cute landons 4 1/2 right? TIme for the final installment my dear! And with all you know! Talk about ecstatic home birth baby! Hows caleb? The big stud. Hope hes still digging home school and finds a good group of budies again in the new place.

      Love you guys so much! PS I got to talk to Sean on the phone today and hes doing amazing. He says he will never e the same after this! PRetty cool. More to come on that when he gets back but anyhow thought Kye might want to know hes doing good :) Love you guys.

      Delete
  6. Hird!? You KNOW I typed HIRE!!! Dang. How can I be your blog editor/spelling coach when my own POSTS say shiz like "hird"!?!!!??? Stupid ipad. Ok. I'm fired. I just hired, and now FIRED myself. G''Night. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great adventure! Are your kids picking up spanish? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all of the pictures and I really love the raw honesty puring from your beautiful soul..... You will never regret taking this leap of faith..... But all of us here at home will regret that we didn't do it as well.....
    I love you!
    Laura~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS always Im so grateful to get comments like yours that make my day and encourage us further! Your an angle.

      Zara is picking it up, not as fast as I thought but that could be my fault for not using spanish myself enough. I think when she gets around more little kids she will start flying through spanish. She does have her own made up spanish thats quite funny.

      I love you and more then ever, now being out here, I WISH you were my sherppa!!!!
      xoxo~Rachelle

      Delete
  8. Sweet Shell! The pictures are amazing. I just absolutely adore your children. They.are.beautiful. Miss you but love reading about your journey. Your heartaches, triumphs, and your day to day doings. Thanks for your honesty! We need more of that! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MINDI!
      So glad to here from you! I love you so much and lvoe your advise so if you ever have any do share :) Thanks so all the support! It means so much! LOve you and I hope your whole family is doing great!
      XOXO~ Shell and Sean

      Delete
  9. Shell,
    I just want you to know that I love and support you. I can't tell you how strong, brave and inspiring you are. I came across the blog after finding you on instagram and couldn't stop reading. Your kids are beautiful! I have never met Rowan but already love her. I will always have a special place in my heart for Sean, as he was one of the most sincere people i have ever met. I know Brock would say the same thing of him. I wish all the best for your family. I love you guys.
    Bri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bre, I love you. Thank you for this kind, kind message. Thanks for reading and being so supportive regardless of how weird this might sound! Sean loved reading your msg and he definitely has a big place in his heart full of memories of you and brock too. We cant wait to reconnect with you guys agin some day. but it means so much to us both to have your love from afar! I cant believe you have three kids now!!! Your amazing and such a multitasker, talented beautiful women. I'm lucky to know you. Thanks agin! Love you very much and give your idos a hug from us! ~Shell

      Delete
  10. I am Kristin's cousin, Jamie, and I just started reading! I am sitting here in tears. You are inspirational woman and mother! Just thought I'd say hello. I am looking forward to reading more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie! Wow I teared up reading that someone I dont know teared up reading parts of our journey! Truly thank you for your positive interest in our blog! We are grateful for good energy like yours. I hope to see more of you! Are you Kristen Daniels Cousin?
      Love and light my new friend~Shell

      Delete